This new development involves the protection and temporary retention of the historically protected Mountaineer façade, built in 1885. While the remainder of the building is deconstructed, a basement and four further levels will be built and tied into the original fascia. With three street frontages, limited working space and a permanent head of ground water in the basement, the project is challenging in many respects.
The Mountaineer’s main structure will consist of precast panels, structural steelwork with a mixture of Stahlton, Insitu and Hibond flooring systems. The enclosure will be predominately frameless glass, glass curtain wall and Corten Steel. The three storey height atrium will be a major feature of this building where heritage materials removed during deconstruction such as timber, stone and brick will be re-used.